Welcome!

Thank you for stopping by to read and listen to my sermons. I welcome your comments and questions!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Pour

Rev. Karla Jean Miller
The Eliot Church of Newton
John 12:1-11 (Mary washes Jesus feet )
March 21, 2010 Lent 5 Year C

Prescript
Before I begin, could we have a little chat? I really need to process something, and you are my first captive audience. Do you mind to indulge me for just a few moments?

This week has been an unusual week for me. Like many of you, I’m sure, I have been over-consumed with the mundane and emergency of daily life, from mediating an issue in an organization for which I unofficially volunteer to a serious health condition in one of the furry members of our household that required immediate surgery in addition to fullness and detail of ministry here at Eliot.

I tell you this, because in the grind of this week, especially, in the mediating of an issue that secular organization, that my faith or who I was didn’t matter to those involved. Now, I must explain to you that most of my waking life revolves ministry, thinking about God, about church, thinking about how best to facilitate (in spite of my limitations) an experience of the Holy, whether it is in planning for a Lenten series, writing words for a bible presentation, or a pastoral visit. In other words, it’s always about God. Or, at least, God is always in the mix—maybe not at the center.

This week, I had a humble—oh so humble revelation. I found myself in the middle of a situation where I was NOT Pastor Karla; and yet my faith drew me to the middle of the crisis; I put myself in a role of mediator, but I couldn’t call out the people in the conflict to draw up on their faith, to ask “What would Jesus want us to do here” because it would have been inappropriate, and when the name of God was invoked, I had to agree with the victim that it was completely uncalled for.

In short, I was involved in real daily life…where people don’t really do things because of God. And I was completely broken-hearted with the threat of litigation, which I thought was ludicrous…but others felt like it was the only answer; and I felt that I was right, and they were wrong, and yet there was a complete different world view and approach to life at play. I was in a foreign world. The REAL world, outside of Eliot walls.

And the whole time, Mary and her nard, and Jesus feet, were hovering right here (behind my right ear) and I kept thinking to myself, "What on earth can this story about a woman washing Jesus feet with perfume mean to life in the 21st century—life that deals with overly self-righteous people, who don’t give a durn about the bible, who have a different sense of morality and ethics…???"

I started thinking about your lives, all of you draining of your flooded basements and others of you having to lay off staff in your office, and maybe some of you not having enough money to pay the bills and the rest of you laying awake at night, worried about your children, whether they have friends and are safe in school or happy on their own as adults in the big world…
...and I wondered,
Who cares about a story of someone washing the feet of Jesus with perfume? It’s so NOT applicable to daily life,
And yet,
Mary continued to be here (point to the side of my head) the whole time, ignoring my questions and washing Jesus feet...and I was befuddled.

You come, on Sundays…for whatever reason—
to have a holy moment, to be touched by grace,
to lament in prayer or be washed in the music of angels…
…maybe you walk into the meeting house out of obligation because really you would rather be sipping coffee in bed with the newspaper.

You show up for some reason...
With experiences beyond mine this week,
And I wondered, what is in this story for you, for me?

The Divine ignored my question,
And Mary continued pouring out that perfume and washing Jesus feet, ignoring me too.
(Sigh.)
Thank you for listening. I feel better now.

Prayer:
Grant us the grace to hear and experience the illumination of your Word, in this day, in this place. Amen.

POUR
Lazarus, has just been raised after four days in a tomb. Now Mary and Martha, his sisters, and friends and loved ones are sharing a dinner in celebration and thanking Jesus, who has come out of hiding to see his friend Lazarus enjoying his new life.

How do they feel that night as they gather in Lazarus's home at Bethany for dinner? Perhaps Lazarus is reclining at the table, recounting what it was like being dead and how blinding the light was as he stumbled out of the tomb. He has bathed, of course, but there is still a faint scent of myrrh about him, still a few twigs of cloves stuck in his hair. The smells of freshly baked bread and of the fattened calf roasting reach the guests, and soon they're at the table. Then, while everyone is eating and talking, Mary comes in quietly, carrying her best bottle of fragrant oil. She walks over to Jesus and without a word kneels, uncorks the bottle and pours all of the oil over his feet. Jesus closes his eyes and lets the cool oil soothe his dusty, calloused, aching feet.
*

We know today that it was part of the ritual of hospitality in antiquity to have servants wash the feet of guest. But what Mary does is completely unusual.
First, she performs the action herself, instead of having a servant.
Second, the only man a woman in antiquity would touch would be her husband or children, and then only in private.
Third, a woman would never allow anyone other than her immediate family to see her hair.
Fourth, the cleaning of the feet was not done with perfume - especially with the amount mentioned here which would cost a year's wages for a peasant labourer.


So why does she act in the way she does?

Many scholars and commentators conclude that as a rather wealthy mistress of the house, Mary would have had connections with the elites of Jerusalem, fully aware of the plans underway to have Jesus arrested and executed.
And she would know that the form of execution would be crucifixion by the Romans, since that is the method used when the intention is to not just kill a person but to kill what they stand for; to kill belief in them; to kill any possible continuing movement by followers. And that form of death does not allow for a proper burial with proper anointing of the body. Often the bodies of the crucified were left on the cross for scavenging birds and animals to eat the flesh, with the remains later thrown into a pit.


So Mary does what she can to anoint the body of her dear, dear friend.

Or, maybe she is abundantly grateful, because Jesus restored their lives (literally, because Lazarus death would have left them as women, destitute in that society”**

Her act is counter-cultural and extravagant.
Judas calls her out on it, and makes a valid point. Jesus loved poor people, loved justice, but this time, he ignores Judas, making a non-Jesus sounding statement: “The poor will always be with you”
And Mary continued to pour the perfume on poor Jesus’ aching feet.
And then…
She looked up at me, and for the first time speaks to ME!
(allow me a little midrash here)

“Do you get it now?
Why this story IS RELEVANT to you?”
She continues to massage Jesus feet as she says, “let me spell it out for you.”

“First, it takes a body to care for Jesus’ body.
Yes, it’s important to send money to feed the hungry, rescue the victim, rebuild the world, to get the most bang for your buck and not be wasteful.
But sometimes, honey, what Jesus in your world needs is YOU. An actual physical presence.

You know that already—other wise you wouldn’t be sending 12 people all the way to Appalachia to do home repair. Are you kidding me? You are taking a confirmation class and a mom and two seminary students. They aren’t exactly skilled carpenters or plumbers. It doesn’t matter, though, does it?

It’s the body of Christ connecting with the body of Christ. There is no substitute for that—not even cash.

Second, there is no line between secular and sacred, spiritual and everyday. It’s called LIFE. It’s your faith that moves you in situations where God isn’t the topic of the day—like this week. And by the way, it’s good for you to not be thinking about bible study all day. Let your actions speak volumes —whether it is mediating a crisis, or driving politely. Seriously.

And third, take a moment to look at Jesus. In spite of being the Light of the World and all, he does take some time out--- he chooses to slow down. Of course he COULD be out there reaching more people, throwing down some more tables in the temple, feeding more multitudes, and healing the ever present sick.

But he chooses not to, because Jesus knows that it is important to savor life. He loves a delicious long dinner at the home of his friends, and a good foot massage. Saving the world can wait—because noticing life is part of that salvation. If the One who Walks on Water can do that, well, I am just saying you can take some time some time to smell the rose scented perfume."

And then she turned back to her dear friend Jesus,
And poured a little more oil on his aching feet.
Amen.

*(All italics are a direct quote from Beth Sanders, Living By the Word : heaven scent. Christian Century, March 6 2007, unless otherwise noted)
**Italics here are direct quote or paraphrase from David Ewart, www.davidewart.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment